Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hating Sin--Loving Righteousness

Today I read something that sparked a thought in my head. The thought was about sin. Sin--that thing that no one really wants to discuss or think about. The thing that separates us from our Creator. The thing that we fall into daily. Sin--something we should hate, but do we? I thought back to a conversation I had with my best friend Merry. This conversation took place probably over a year or two ago, but something she said has always stuck with me. Merry was discussing some of the things that God was revealing to her--and she said she was thinking about the sin in her life, and wondered if she really hated her sin? It's something I think about quite often. Because I love God with all of my heart, I strive to life a holy life, but I am guilty of sin. But do I really hate it? Do I despise it? God hates sin. Plain and simple. I want to hate sin. I want to hate the sin in my own life. I want to hate it so much that it completely changes who I am. It is so easy to sin--we are human--and not even realize we are doing it. It is easy to sin--knowing that God is going to forgive us if we repent. It is easy sometimes to go against what the Holy Spirit is telling us. I am so thankful for a merciful Lord who gave His Son to pay my ransom. When I sin, it hurts me ultimately. It drives a wedge in this relationship I have with Christ. It is true that God will always love me--but I want to show God how much I love Him by following His commands and guidance. I challenge you to think about the sin in your own life--how is it benefiting you? Newsflash: It isn't. I challenge you to begin truly hating your sin. Choose to love holiness and truth. "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by the Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." John 14:21 Be blessed! Jenn

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I stumbled across your blog.

    Love it, Jenn...thanks so much for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete