Monday, September 28, 2009

Accountability...

Have you ever encountered someone who is a "convenient Christian"...someone who only represents Christ when it seems convenient for them? Forgive me if I rant and rave a bit on this blog, but this is something that has been weighing heavy on my mind for a while. I sometimes wonder if people understand what it really means to follow Christ. What ever happened to "fearing" God? When did we become so tolerant of doing things that are not representing Christ the way He deserves to be represented? I know that I am not the perfect Christian by any means. I AM NOT EVEN CLOSE. But I can honestly say that I really do strive to live a life that is holy and pleasing to God. I realize that my actions not only affect me, but others around me. There have been times in my life where it would have been a lot easier for me to "follow the crowd", but I knew that my witness would have been ruined. There are people in my life right now that I love tremendously who are Christians, but I rarely see Christ reflected in their actions or choices. This bothers me. It bothers me to know that they are living their OWN lives, apart from God--they are missing out on a lot of joy and comfort, guidance and peace. It bothers me that they think they can do what is "fun" now, and worry about their relationship with God later. I know Christ's love, and I know what is feels like to be in His presence. I want the people I love to have that too. I want them to realize that the things in this world truly are temporary--that the choices we make everyday matter--that we are NOT invincible. Every second matters. In Revelation, God says He will spit the lukewarm out of His mouth. I don't want anyone I love to be in that situation. Now, I also realize that I may be to blame for some of this. It is my responsiblity to keep others accountable and I need that accountability as well. I know there are many times where I see one of my brothers or sisters in Christ heading away from what is right, and I am so worried about upsetting them or stepping on their toes, that I don't say anything. I just let them fall away from the Lord. What kind of person does that make me? Quite honestly, I am tired of worrying what someone is going to think of me. I am tired of keeping my mouth shut. My prayer is that God would give me loving ways to keep my friends and my family accountable. I am very blessed to have people in my life who keep me accountable. They call me out on the "junk" in my life, and there are times when it hurts my feelings or I get defensive, but deep down I know they are right. I know that I needed to hear it. I don't really know where to end with this. Just remember that we have a responsibility to one another to keep each other accountable. We have a responsibility to pray for one another. We have a responsibility to love one another. Be blessed! Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment