Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Confessions of a Newlywed...

Well, I have been married for almost 2 1/2 months, and it has been glorious. I have wanted to be a wife since boys didn't seem so "icky" anymore. Okay maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration, but I can honestly say that I have prayed for David for a very long time. I remember thinking some days before David came into the picture that I was never going to "find" the man of my dreams. But the thing is, I didn't have to "find" David, God brought him to me and created him for me. Amazing. There has never been a doubt that David is my soulmate. He knows me better than anyone and somehow loves me past all of my annoying flaws.
Being a wife is great. BUT it isn't always easy. I have seen a lot in myself that needs to change since I have been married. I have noticed things in myself that I have never noticed before. Like the fact that I am way more independent than I knew. Or that I am stubborn. Or wait, that I am pretty selfish on some days. The list could really go on. I guess we all have those things about ourselves that aren't so pleasant. Thankfully, David doesn't want to disown me, and loves me despite those "icky" things about me.
I was reading Proverbs 31 the other day, and ended up thinking that I am a long way from being the woman described in that passage. But that is okay. I am so glad that God gave all of us women Proverbs 31 to outline what it means to be a Godly wife. It gives us all something to aim for. Here are the two verses that always just get me...
"She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come."-- vs. 25
"Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praised her." - vs. 28
What an amazing thing to shoot for. I always told David that I wanted him and our future children to see God in me. To see Christ in my roles as a wife and a friend. How rewarding that would be!
The relationship of husband and wife is so special. I trust David with my life. I love being able to be here when he gets home. I love being able to encourage him when he is stressed out. I love being able to laugh with him about dumb things that no one else would probably think was funny. I love having deep Godly conversations with him and I love seeing what God is doing with his life. Ultimately, I love the blessing of being his wife.
Be blessed!
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment